Young Composers from Years 1 to 12 attending a Queensland school can enter their works across three sections in 2017 Electronic/Film Music, Song Writing and Vocal/Instrumental. Scroll down for full details on this year’s competition.
All entries for YCC are to be submitted electronically. Online entries will be available from early Term 3, 2017.
Ellaways Music Vocal/Instrumental Section
While the style/genre of this section can be from classical through to contemporary, the compositions are to be specifically written for an instrument/s (solo or any combination of ensemble) and/or vocal (art song or choral, but not in song writing style).
Binary Music Electronic Music Section
Within this section, students are able to submit composition that make use of loops (previously generated or original), compositions that make use of sampling and those compositions which specifically manipulate sound sources through digital means. Please note that compositions that make use of notational software are to be entered into the vocal/instrumental section.
Song Writing Section
Incorporating James North Productions First Place Senior Prize.
Within this section, students can submit an original work (music and lyrics) in a contemporary, pop, rock or folk style. This is the only section in which a group entry is permissible. A maximum of 5 students may be in the group. Prizes for this section will be shared among the group members.
AGE DIVISIONS & ENTRY FEES
Entries for 2017 will be accepted in all sections for the following age divisions:
- Primary: Students enrolled in Years 1 to 6
- Middle: Students enrolled in Years 7 to 9
- Senior: Students enrolled in Years 10 to 12
The 2017 Entry Fees for the competition across all sections will be:
- Primary Division: $15 per entry (+ $0.30 processing fee per entry)
- Middle & Senior Divisions: $20 per entry (+ $0.30 processing fee per entry)
Please Note: Monetary value of all prizes will be awarded either in cash or gift vouchers.
Primary Divisions Middle Divisions Senior Divisions
Highly Commended Prizes
Highly commended students will receive a prize from 4MBS.
PRE-CONCERT WORKSHOP FOR COMPOSERS
All composers are invited to a pre-concert workshop on 22 October 2017 at Vivace Piano and Strings, MacGregor. Students will be able to meet and mingle with each other and meet the adjudicators. There will be a Q&A with the adjudicators who will offer tips, tricks and ideas for compositional development. The pre-concert workshop is a rare opportunity to speak with industry professionals.
After the workshop, composers are invited to the Finalists Concert where winners will perform their works and be presented with awards at Vivace Piano and Strings, 2/550 Kessels Rd. MacGregor.
Conditions of Entry
- Compositions must adhere to the prescribed minimum lengths:
- Primary: 30 seconds or 12 bars
- Middle: 1 minute or 16 bars
- Senior: 2 minutes or 32 bars
- Group composition (max. 5 members) are allowed only in the Song Writing section
- A composition that has already won an award in any previous competition in not eligible for entry
- All audio based compositions are to be submitted online as an MP3 file
- Written scores for the Vocal/Instrumental Section are also to be submitted online in PDF format
- A short paragraph outlining the intent of the composition must be included and submitted online in PDF format
- ASME Qld reserves the right not to award a prize if a suitable standard is not reached or divide the prize equally between joint winners.
- Adjudicators will be chosen by ASME Qld. All adjudicator decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Composers will be invited to perform their winning entries at the Finalists’ Concert to be held at the Vivace Piano & Strings.
- All entrants must be attending a Queensland school.
- Compositions submitted will only be returned to those composers (or delegated representatives) who are in attendance at the Finalists’ Concert.
- Composers must attend the Award Ceremony to receive their prize.