The Young Composers’ Award is an annual competition for composers established by the South Australian chapter of the Australian Society of Music Education in 1973. The Award aims to encourage and develop musical composition by both children and young adults and provides an effective platform for the performance of their works. Another important function of the Award is to produce a body of new music designed specifically for use in schools and colleges.
2017 Young Composers’ Award to be held on on Monday 27th November, 2017. Time and venue to be advised.
Entry form here.
Entries close Friday 29th September 2017.
Enquiries: Please direct any enquiries to Ben Fuller on 0450 099 326 or by email to ASME.firstname.lastname@example.org
This year as part of the ASME Young Composers Awards we are offering a non-residential Composing camp at Scotch College for students who wish to workshop some of their ideas. This event will be held 9am-3pm on Wednesday and Thursday 19th & 20th of July.
The event will feature a presentation that includes a loop based composing demonstration, as well as compositional analysis both aural and notation based from Adam Page, followed by a day and a half of workshop opportunities to develop compositional skills.
This event will be capped at a maximum of 20 participants so get your registrations in fast to attend this fantastic event. The cost to attend this event is $50.00 per person.
Composing Camp Registration Form – here
Composing Camp poster – here
SCHOOL CATEGORY for composers 18 years and under on January 1, 2017.
- Section A: Composers in school Year R-7
- Section B: Sequenced/Rock/Pop Year R-7
- Section C: Composers in school Years 8-9
- Section D: Composers in school Years 10-11
- Section E: Composers in school Year 12
- Section F: Rock and Popular Music with lyrics Year 8 – 12 or up to age 18
- Section G: Sequenced, Rock/Pop Instrumental Year 8 – 12 or up to age 18
- Section H: Arrangers in school Years 8-10
- Section I: Arrangers in school Years 11-12
ADVANCED CATEGORY for composers 25 years and under on January 1, 2017.
- Section J: Music for Schools Solo Instrument or Voice (accompaniment optional)
- Section K: Music for Schools Instrumental Ensemble or Choir
Note: Music for Sections J or K can be written for any age range up to and including Year 12. Please indicate a suitable age on the score.
- Section L: Schools Solo Instrument or Voice (accompaniment optional)
- Section M: Ensemble or Choir
- Section N: Electronic Music
Sponsors for the ASME Young Composers Awards for 2017 to be advised.
We would like to thank our sponsors for the Young Composers Awards for 2016.