The Young Composers’ Award is an annual competition for composers established by the South Australian chapter of the Australian Society of Music Education in 1973. The Award aims to encourage and develop musical composition by both children and young adults and provides an effective platform for the performance of their works. Another important function of the Award is to produce a body of new music designed specifically for use in schools and colleges.
Enquiries: Please direct any enquiries about the ASME (SA) Young Composers’ Award to Ben Fuller on 0450 099 326 or by email to ASME.firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2019 Young Composers Award Concert was held on 25th November, at St Mary’s College, Adelaide. Many thanks to the YCA sponsors – APRA/AMCOS, Credit Union SA, Music EdNet, Presto Music, Size Music, Winston Music.
Above: Maddelyn Ravanelli, singer/composer. Winner of Section B (Yr R-7 – Rock, Pop) – piece entitled Be Yourself.
Above: Katelyn Crawford, joint winner of Section L (written for schools, solo instrument or voice), piece entitled Mister Willie Wagtail.
Above: Hamish Madden, winner of Section E (Yr 12), piece entitled Darknesse-Litany-Trisagion.
Above: Aaron Pelle, joint winner of Section L, piece entitled Prelude in E major, and Section M, piece entitled Purgatory.
Above: Orchestra from St Ignatius College performing Bad Guy, arranged by Lara Turner, winner of Section I (Arrangers in Schools Yr 11-12).
Closing date for entries for the 2019 Awards – Friday September 27.
2019 Young Composers Music Camp – 3-day non-residential Composing camp was held at Scotch College, July 17-19. Working with professional composers – Mark Ferguson, Sidney Millar, and Chelsea Lee. Details and Registration form available here.
The 2018 Young Composers’ Award Concert was held on Monday 26th November, 2018. There is an article about this concert in the ASME (SA) e-Newsletter Term 1 2019 – see here
SCHOOL CATEGORY for composers 18 years and under on January 1, 2019.
- Section A: Composers in school Year R-7
- Section B: Sequenced/Rock/Pop Year R-7
- Section C: Composers in school Years 8-9
- Section D: Composers in school Years 10-11
- Section E: Composers in school Year 12
- Section F: Rock and Popular Music with lyrics Year 8 – 12 or up to age 18
- Section G: Sequenced, Rock/Pop Instrumental Year 8 – 12 or up to age 18
- Section H: Arrangers in school Years 8-10
- Section I: Arrangers in school Years 11-12
ADVANCED CATEGORY for composers 25 years and under on January 1, 2019.
- Section J: Music for Schools Solo Instrument or Voice (accompaniment optional)
- Section K: Music for Schools Instrumental Ensemble or Choir
Note: Music for Sections J or K can be written for any age range up to and including Year 12. Please indicate a suitable age on the score.
- Section L: Schools Solo Instrument or Voice (accompaniment optional)
- Section M: Ensemble or Choir
- Section N: Electronic Music
Sponsors for 2019 ASME YCA are yet to be confirmed. Many thanks to the invaluable support from our sponsors for the ASME Young Composers Awards for 2018: