There has been a disconnection between music education and the wealth of knowledge and experience of local musicians and music groups in Western Australia. This project calls on local musicians and music groups to submit proposals for commissioned works to be used in the music education sphere. This offers the opportunity to create new and exciting works and resources for teachers to use with their students. It allows educators to forge stronger links with the local music industry and music communities.
‘Augment and Inspire’ is a new ASME WA initiative that will commission new pieces of music and music resources for Western Australian music educators. One of the objectives of ASME WA is to commission new works. This project hopes to draw on the experience, skill and creativity of local musicians and music communities to develop new works to be used in music teaching.
‘Augment and Inspire’ is an opportunity to receive a paid commission for original songs, pieces and music activities. Musicians, artists, music groups, composers, singer-songwriters, sound producers, and other interested parties are asked to submit an expression of interest, including a 250 word proposal, for resources and creative works.
‘Augment and Inspire’ aims to produce new songs, sounds, stories and ideas that draw on diverse cultural identities, experiences, knowledges and creativity. The works may provoke new questions and meaning for our students, and provide opportunities to learn new skills, different techniques, explore sounds, technology, instruments, instrument groupings and cultural expressions.
The ‘Augment and Inspire’ project team will review the proposals and select suitable projects for commission. The works will be released on the ASME WA website, promoted through various industry platforms and other music education associations. The works will be available for online purchase, with all proceeds going to the artist(s).
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible, artists must meet the following criteria:
- Be living in Western Australia, with a current Western Australian address, and
- Identify as being a practising individual music artist or group of music artists (emerging or established)
- Expressions of Interest are now open
- Expressions of Interest for Round One close at 11:59pm, 3rd July 2020
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome by 10th July 2020
- Successful applicants to complete and submit work to ASME WA by 7th August 2020 (works can be submitted as soon as they are ready and payment will be made within 10 days)
- Works will be released online for purchase from 1st September 2020
Please follow the links below for more details and to apply for this project:
Expression of Interest forms should be submitted to ASME WA here.